According to the California Board of Pharmacy, all pharmacy technicians employed in the State of California needs to be licensed. Prior to being licensed they need to graduate from a pharmacy technician course or completed formal training from an accredited school.
Certification meanwhile is optional with the California Pharmacy Board as well as continuing education, which is only required to maintain certification. Technician licenses are valid for one year and needs to be renewed around six weeks before the expiration date.
Education requirements for applying for a pharmacy technician license
All candidates are must be high school graduates or have the equivalent education (G.E.D.)
They also have to complete a formal pharmacy technician training by:
- Earning an Associate Degree in Pharmacy Technology or…
- Completing 240 hours of course work as mentioned in title 16 of the California Code of Regulation or…
- Completing a pharm tech training course accredited by the American Society of Health-Sysytem Pharmacists (ASHP) or…
- Graduating from a pharmacy school accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
Just in case you have PTCB certification, include that certified true copy of that certification along with your application. If you have had training with a branch of the federal armed forces, include the DD214 with your application.
In order to fast track your pharmacy technician license application, the following steps have to be done:
Download, print and complete the application form from the California Board of Pharmacy website. Attach a 2” x 2” passport style photo that was taken within 60 days prior to the filing of application.
Gather all the documents listed below to be included with the application form.
- For high school graduates include (1) A certified copy of your high school academic records from the high school you graduated from or (2) A certified copy of an official “Certificate of Proficiency” which proves that you have passed the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) or (3) A copy of your high school diploma or certificate or a certified copy of your high school diploma or certificate translated to English.
- For individuals who completed the General Education Development (GED) program submit a certified copy of the G.E.D. test results. This is available through the California Development of Education website here or you can call (866) 370 4740.
- Submit documentary proof that you have completed a formal pharmacy technician training course such as an affidavit of completed coursework or graduation for pharmacy technician, an original or certified copy of your PTCB certification (if applicable), or an original or certified copy of the DD214 (if applicable).
- A copy of the Practitioner Self Query report which is available from www.npdb-hipdb.hrsa.gov.
- Fingerprint scan.
Note on fingerprint scan:
California residents find a scan site near their area by visiting http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php
If you live outside California you have to submit rolled fingerprints along with your application to the Pharmacy Board plus a processing fee of $49.00 ($32.00 DOJ Fee + $17.00 FBI Fee). To get fingerprint cards you can call the board at (916)574-7900 or email them at email@example.com.
Detailed information can be found on the application form.
Send all the documents and fees along with the application form to the California State Board of Pharmacy at 1625 N. Market Blvd. N219, Sacramento, California 95834. Processing of applications usually takes 60 days, click here to verify if your license has been issued.
- Application fee: $80.00
- Renewal fee: $100.00
- Late renewal fee: $150 ($100 renewal fee + $50 delinquency fee)
Fees can be through check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to the Board of Pharmacy.
The California Board of Pharmacy advises pharmacy technicians to renew their licenses no more than sixty days and not less than four to six weeks before it expires to avoid penalties and to allow time for processing. Click here to download the license renewal form. To facilitate the license renewal process, fill up and mail the application form along with the payment to the California State Board of Pharmacy at 1625 N. Market Blvd. N219, Sacramento, California 95834.
Currently the California Pharmacy Board does not have an online license application and renewal. All forms will have to be sent by mail to their office in Sacramento.
Take note that there is a hefty fine of $5,000 for pharm techs who practice without a license so it is important to renew on time to avoid paying fines, more information on the important mandates and regulations for pharmacy technicians can be found here.